If you are like our family, we have a serious love for “PEANUT BUTTER AND jelly” (we like to sing it around here:) and sometimes it is a battle to get Sophie to want anything else for lunch. So I have been working on a recipe that she will love just as much, but could be a healthy addition to her breakfast routine…and I did it! Yay! Although, for this recipe I have removed the peanut butter and replaced it with almond butter for so many more wonderful benefits.
After teaming up with Nuts.com and learning all the health benefits that go along with almonds (and they taste amazing as well), these bars got even better.
The addition of almond butter, to replace peanut butter and almond flour, to replace all purpose flour, you are treating yourself to a high protein and gluten free treat…and your kids will love it as well!!
Check out Nuts.com for over 2,000 items that can be shipped straight to you.
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large eggs
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberry jam (or flavor of your choice)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup almonds, slivered
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add vanilla extract, eggs and almond butter and mix until combined
- Slowly add almond flour, baking powder and salt to almond butter mixture and mix just until combined
- Spread the 3/4 of the batter evenly into prepared pan with a spatula
- Spread the strawberry jam over batter
- Drop small globs of the remaining dough over the strawberry jam
- Make the crumble topping and sprinkle to cover top of jam
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden
- Cool in pan before cutting into squares or hearts
- In a small bowl combine the almond flour, sugar, salt and melted butter and stir until it comes together
- Stir in the slivered almonds
- Sprinkle over jam
- Make crumble topping and sprinkle to cover the top