It is so hard to believe that we November is flying by us and we will soon be in the full swing of holiday gifting. Some how, this year I am feeling more prepared than ever and I actually have a good amount of my Christmas shopping done. The edible gifts will be my last minute items and these are the most fun to make and give. Although we have some time and we don’t want the holidays to sneak by us, there is one recipe you will need to start now in order to have ready by Christmas.
Homemade vanilla extract is one of the most simple recipes and probably the most used ingredient in holiday baking. I use vanilla extract in almost every sweet item I make. It adds such a subtle flavor but would be missed if it was not in your recipe.
Before you make your own vanilla extract, there are a few items you will need to decide: the variety of vanilla bean and your choice of alcohol.
Vanilla Bean Options:
*My selections for this Vanilla Extract Recipe
What you need:
3-4 Vanilla Beans
8 Ounces Alcohol
12 ounce Large Glass Jar for Infusing
2-4 ounce Glass Bottles for Packaging
Coffee Filters (Optional)
Vanilla Extract Bottle Labels
1. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise
2. Place the vanilla beans in a glass jar and cover with alcohol, make sure the are completely covered and jar is sealed
3. Place the jars in a cool and dark area for at least one month (for a stronger flavor, keep infusing them for longer)
4. Once the extract is ready, remove the beans and strain the seeds out (optional: leave the seeds if you like the vanilla bean flakes)
5. Using your mini funnel, pour extract into 4 ounce glass jars, seal and decorate with label and twine
Note: This recipe only makes 2 4 ounce jars, so add more ingredients if you have more gifts to give!
Give the gift of food!