We are always longing for the newest and trendiest desserts, but it is the old time favorites that never fade away. Dust off your family recipes and bring back some vintage favorites to share for the holiday’s. Here is a blast from the past with five of my favorite retro desserts.
A spin on a traditional fruit salad, ambrosia brings a little sweetness to the mix. Ink Foods brings this old favorite back to life by combining fruit cocktail, pineapple, mandarin oranges, marshmallows, nuts and coconut to make this fruity salad. (See Recipe Below)
A classic ice cream bomb layered over a cake flavor of your choice makes this an all time favorite. Keeping the ice cream frozen will be the key to cover the top in meringue and bake before serving.
An American classic, Jello can be found in a vast amount of old-time desserts including a classic Jello Mold. With so many flavor options for every season, this recipe must be brought back to stay. Combining peaches, peach jello and condensed milk is the perfect way to start.
Strawberry Chiffon Pie
Making its comeback from the 1920’s, a classic chiffon pie is made with a strawberries, egg whites and gelatin and filled in a graham cracker crust. This pie is light and fluffy and can also be made in a variety of flavors to satisfy your holiday cravings.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
A soft and crumbly cake, topped with caramelized pineapple and cherries will bring you back to your childhood. Quick and easy can be the theme for your holiday dessert baking and this cake will do the job.
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup fruit cocktail, canned
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup mandarin oranges
- 2 cups marshmallows
- shredded coconut, garnish
- chopped walnuts, garnish
- maraschino cherry, garnish
- Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature before mixing with sour cream; stir until smooth
- Drain juice from fruit cocktail and mix into chopped pineapple and mandarin oranges before adding to cream cheese mixture
- Once fruit and cream cheese is combined, gently stir in marshmallows
- Spoon into serving dishes and top with shredded coconut, chopped walnuts and a maraschino cherry
- Refrigerated until ready to serve