A backyard summer barbecue is the perfect place to sip on a refreshingly fizzy homemade soda. Although this fruity drink is called Italian cream soda, it was originally created in the United States, flavored with well-known Italian syrups. This recipe gives you the option to make your own syrups from scratch, which provides endless flavor possibilities for a quick and easy summer drink.
- 2-3 Tbsp homemade blueberry or strawberry simple syrup
- ½ Cup sparkling water
- 1 Tbsp half and half
- Simple Syrup Recipe
- 1Cup granulated sugar
- 1Cup water
- 1Cup fresh strawberries or 1 Cup fresh blueberries
- Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Once sugar has dissolved add in fresh fruit and boil for about 10 minutes or until syrup becomes thick.
- Strain the mixture to remove the fruit and keep the juice.
- Allow the simple syrup to cool completely before using.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of simple syrup to a glass filled with ice.
- Pour in sparkling water on top of the simple syrup until the glass is almost full.
- Top off the soda with a splash of half and half.
- Stir to combine, and enjoy immediately!
Thank you for visiting and I hope you enjoy! Recipe featured in Advocate Magazine July Issue.
Photography: Megan Weaver