Sweet and Salty Blondies are the perfect combination of your favorite cookie and brownie but not totally loaded with chocolate. These blondies are layered with the most buttery pretzel crust and caramel sauce and finished with a tender blondie batter. Each bite is filled with semisweet chocolate chips and peanut butter chips and are perfect for any celebration or just a late night sweet craving. April is a big month of birthday celebrations in our family and I have to say I love any reason to celebrate.
My husband and I were talking about how some people dread birthdays but growing up we always had the best birthday celebrations and I am already doing the same for my kids and I always love celebrating my husband.
So this year, I asked him the famous question…what type of cake do you want? Coming from the non sweet eater of our family (not sure how that is possible) he requested these Sweet and Salty Blondies instead of cake. I had made them a few weeks ago as a trial recipe and honestly didn’t love how they turned out but after sampling them out to him and some other family members, I got the approval and “please make these again…soon”. So here they are…Updated and better then ever!
Blondies are just so good! They are the marriage of a brownie and a cookie in texture, but to me, not as rich as a brownie substituting the chocolate for vanilla and adding brown sugar instead of granulated sugar. They have that addicting factor of a chocolate chip cookie, that makes you want more and more. The salty sweet pretzel crust is really what takes these blondies to the next level, layered with caramel and sprinkled with semi sweet chocolate chips and peanut butter chips, you can thank my husband for pushing me to make more! I can’t wait for you to try them out!
- 2 Cups Crushed Pretzels
- 3/4 Cup Butter, Melted
- 3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter Chips
- 1/2 Cup Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, combine the crushed pretzels, melted butter, and sugar
- Stir until combined and sticks together
- Press Pretzel crust into the bottom of pan and set aside
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, light brown sugar and vanilla extract
- Add in eggs and stir until combined
- Add flour and baking powder to mixture and whisk until smooth and all the lumps are out
- Fold chocolate chips and peanut butter chips into batter
- Pour a layer of caramel sauce on top of the pretzel crust
- Add the blondie batter onto the caramel sauce and spread out evenly in pan
- Bake blondies for 25-30 minutes or until knife comes out clean
- Allow the blondies to cool before removing them from the pan
- Remove the blondies from the pan and cut into 2 inch square or size of your choice!