A Dutch baby, sometimes known as a German pancake, a Bismarck, or a Dutch puff, are baked in a cast iron skillet and puff to great heights while cooking. There are a few tricks to making these puffy pancakes.
Start with a thin pancake batter consisting of eggs, milk, flour, sugar and butter that is combined in a blender to create the smoothest consistency. While you are making your batter, heat your cast iron skillet in the oven before buttering. A hot skillet and melted butter ensures you will have the puffiest and tastiest Dutch baby.
Once the Dutch baby is baked, you will have a crunchy edge and a thin, crepe-like middle that can be filled sweet or savory ingredients. A classic Dutch baby can be enjoyed just like a traditional pancake with a dusting of powdered sugar and maple syrup or can be fancied up with your favorite garnish. To dig into your sweeter side, garnish with mixed berries, lemon curd, powdered sugar and a sprig of mint, or make a meal out of it with a twist on a Caprese salad drizzled with a balsamic reduction.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Place 2 8” cast iron skillets in the oven to warm up while you are making the batter
- In a blender or food processor combine eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and nutmeg
- Blend until smooth
- Remove the skillet from the oven and melt 1Tbsp of butter on each skillet, tilting to coat the bottom and sides
- Divide the batter in half and pour into each cast iron skillet
- Bake until the dutch baby is puffed up and golden brown on the edges, approximately 12-14 minutes
- Remove from the oven and immediately garnish and serve
- Once the Dutch baby is out of the oven, spread a thin layer of lemon curd in the center of the pancake. Top with fresh berries, dust with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh mint
- When making the Dutch baby, remove the 2 tablespoons sugar from the recipe. Once the pancake is out of the oven, top with pesto, sliced heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella cheese balls or slices, fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Makes 2-8" Dutch Babies